Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Quiet Mornings

The best thing about my house is the quiet in the morning. I typically get up an hour or two earlier than my kids and have the place to myself to read my bible, to pray, to exercise, to surf the internet, to answer email, and to think. As my children come downstairs they get their own breakfasts independently--for the most part--and then they play or read or play keyboard or color or just hang out. No television. No stereo. No talk radio. Just quiet, calm and peace. (Unless they decide to quarrel which doesn't usually happen this early in the day--not that it won't happen later!)

This alone might be enough to persuade me to homeschool. The space to be a family, not rushing, not being told what to buy or what to do by loud, obnoxious voices who want our money and our allegiance, not having to throw their stuff together and find their homework and throw them on the school bus which comes so early. On days when we need to be somewhere--like today--I still savor the ease. Pretty soon I will round everyone up, send them to shower, make beds, we'll pack a lunch and head off to Old Sturbridge Village for a day of experiential learning and meeting up with friends.

Simply lovely.

Homeschool Mami

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory