Thursday, August 31, 2006

Socialization--for Homeschooling Parents

One of the biggest questions everyone has about homeschooling is--What about socialization? There are a variety of standard homeschooler's answers to this questions such as those listed here. I found this website when I googled "What about socialization?". I have responded with most of these answers at one time or another.

However, socialization is an issue. I need to be intentional in order to make friends for my kids because we are busy and can easily lose regular contact with friends. Our neighborhood has lots of kids, but unfortunately it's a challenge to connect with them, especially because of the public school schedules. Socialization is work!

However, it's also important for me. I need friends with me on my journey and when I push myself out of my little world into the larger world and make some new friends, I am a better mother and homeschooler. As an introvert who energizes herself with quiet time and a good book, it's still worth it to organize an event or to meet new families at a park and make a new connection.

All that to say, yes, I do want family socialization to be my kids' primary shaping influence, but, yes, socialization is an issue for us and for me. It's one of my educational priorities for my kids that they form friendships with a diverse group of people and have fun downtime with favorite pals. And me, too.

Homeschool Mami

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory