Monday, March 06, 2006

A Vision for St. Patrick's Day


Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day, especially in Worcester. I actually am Irish (even if I do have a Hispanic last name now.) But the wearin' of the green is a local must whether your ancestors left Eire during the Potato Famine or not.

Every year we always catch the traditional St. Patrick's Day Parade down Park Avenue. This year it's Sunday, March 12, beginning at noon. There are lots of floats, Irish dancing girls, bands, local politicians and the random karate studio represented. It's very small town, very Worcester, and we wouldn't miss it for anything!

Of course all of this green-tinted revelry, as fun as it is, is quite a bit removed from that actual history behind St. Patrick. For a good link that explains the true story behind the man that the holiday celebrates check out Meet Saint Patrick and these links to more sites about him.

One of my favorite songs of all time is attributed to Saint Patrick. Click here for all the lyrics and a midi file to hear the tune. The first stanza is possibly my favorite:

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Homeschool Mami

Comments:
I'm Irish, too, and married to a Puerto Rican man. St. Patrick's Day is a favorite holiday at our house.
 
How cool! It's always fun to know another bicultural family, even if it is in cyberspace!
 
Hi, Irlanda!

What's your blog? The link didn't work for me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogarama - The Blog Directory